In this week’s CRE Elite, I visit the state of Utah and talk to Mark Jensen, the Senior Vice President of Investment Sales for the Newmark Grubb Akers office in Salt Lake City. Mark is a top producing investment broker with 10 years experience in the field. He is a member of the national Newmark Grubb Alliance Capital Markets Team and has closed over $350 million in commercial transactions since 2004. While he has experience and real time activity in all CRE sectors, Mark has sold over 2,000 apartment units in the past five years alone and that’s really his sweet spot.
Mark has become a standout in the industry due to his focus on the best interest of his clients’ and he is fun to do business with and I really picked up on that during the course of our talk. We really had a lot of fun, ranging from his balance between work and family, to his investment sale strategies in marketing and networking, he describes what may very well be the “perfect” deal, he tells a great story about how he landed one of his most important clients, we spend some time talking about his own website where he features blogs, videos and white paper studies on his market. He highlights the importance of understanding the concept of an Exit Strategy and we break down a broker’s responsibility for “deliverability” and what that means. It’s an interesting discussion and concept and this whole show really delivered. It’s one of my longer episodes but well worth every minute.
Here’s What You’ll Discover
- How Mark transitioned from a focus on leasing to investment sales
- Why Mark started a young leaders group – he realized the value of his “network”
- Why Mark focuses on “deliverability” and “exit strategy”
- Mark shares his most rewarding deal and it’s a doozy
Mentions & Resources
- The Quants – by Scott Patterson
- MarkJensenCRE.com – Mark’s website with blogs, white papers, videos, and more
- The Compound Effect – by Darren Hardy
- Success Magazine and why Mark bought 50 of his clients a subscription!
Advice & Quotes
- Find inefficiencies in your listings and provide value
- “Explore the exit” early on
- Vet your clients – “Deliverability has become a real problem in the investment world”
- “Change of use and identifying trends are great ways to make money”
- The CRE Matrix: “Ideas turn into action which turn into closed deals”
- “You can create”
- “Blocking and tackling” – have 2 face-to-face meetings/week and 5-10 biz calls/day
– Check out Mark’s full bio here
– Call Mark at 801-897-3663