Today we visit the great state of Mississippi and speak to Bill Hankins, a broker at Cook Commercial Properties in Jackson, Mississippi:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Bill is a broker at Cook Commercial Properties in Jackson, Mississippi and, among other things in his career, he spent 35 years as a very successful banker. At the young age of 67 to he transition to commercial real estate brokerage. 12 years later, he has been named the State of Mississippi’s commercial realtor of the year and is competing and beating brokers 50 years his junior!
I learned a lot from Bill over the course of this 30 minute interview, he really broke down the industry to its basics: know your market, know your inventory, know your demographics, understand the financials involved and work harder than the guy next to you. I really appreciated his perspective and enjoyed this talk, I hope you do too.
Here’s What You’ll Discover
- How Bill was able to successfully leverage associations and membership lists
- Bill’s philosophy on the deals that get away
- The daily routine that Bill uses to further his success
- Why Bill studies demographics and trajectories
- Bill’s tips for brokers just entering the field
- Joseph Bower’s From Resource Allocation to Strategic Plans
- Bill utilizes LoopNet daily
- The Realtors Land Institute “tool box”
- You need to know the positives and the negatives of your state and specifically the market area that you are going to serve.
- Bill suggests that you have high impact, easy to read, electronic marketing material
- “There is no need to fly solo when you can rally an entire squadron behind you.”
- “It’s what you learn after you think you know it all that counts” – John Wooden
- Missed opportunities are very common, take it in stride, and learn from your mistakes.
Win a FREE Book!
When you rate and review the podcast in iTunes, you’ll instantly become eligible to win your very own copy of Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker’s Money (Rich Dad’s Advisors) by Dolf de Roos.
Connect with Bill Hankins
- – Check out Bill’s full bio here
– Call Bill at (601) 214-6343
Leave a Reply