Welcome to another Featured Episode of CRE Elite. Today, I have a chance to talk with Pam Goodwin, a CRE broker, owner of Goodwin Commercial Real Estate and published author from the state of Texas. Pam has spent the past 20+ years in commercial real estate working in areas of project management, leasing, tenant coordination, development, and construction. Pam is very active member and a former chair of The International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO), North Texas Commercial Association of Realtors and Real Estate Professionals (NTCAR) and Deals in Heels.
During the course of our talk, Pam and I discuss the development of her career path, her experience in writing her most recent book, the barriers to entry for females in the CRE industry, and several great resources on the web and otherwise for brokers. Pam wraps up with one of the best pieces of advice I’ve heard for newer brokers and one that I actually pulled off myself.
Here’s What You’ll Discover
- How Pam’s career evolved towards her current niche: restaurant brokerage and pad-site development.
- Pam’s take on being a female in what is largely a male dominated industry.
- Why Pam blocks her time and what that means.
- How a cold call lead to one of Pam’s most important clients.
- Pam makes 5-10 cold calls every morning.
Mentions & Resources
- Winning Ways in Commercial Real Estate by Pam Goodwin
- Deals & Heels – for women in retail commercial real estate
- LinkedIn – Pam Goodwin
- One Cent Lemonade to Million Dollar Deals by Pam Goodwin
- Zig Ziglar YouTube videos & website
- Los Angeles Magazine & BisNow
- Grant Cardone & Jack Daly – motivational speakers
Advice & Quotes
- Develop your own niche networking groups
- Always think about what’s next, never stay with a company or position too long.
- Show up to networking events early – and plan ahead!
- “Fortune is in the follow-up”
- Write down your 3-4 money making tasks for each day
- “No one makes phone calls these days…” – “Pick up the phone in 2015!”
- “Sell the sizzle”
- “As a broker you’re always unemployed”
- Find a company/broker that you admire and ASK them if you can work with them!
– Check out Pam’s full bio here
– Call Pam at 214-929-9013