In this week’s CRE Elite, we visit Colorado and talk to John Propp, President of John Propp Commercial Group just outside of Denver, CO. John’s skills, fanatical attention to detail, extreme proficiency with numbers, responsiveness, patience, negotiation, compassion, assertiveness, diplomacy, CCIM education, and most importantly, sales ability, are perfectly suited to the real estate management business. John is equally comfortable working with the National Corporate Retailers as he is with the Mom and Pop business owners that make up such a large portion of the retail business.
As an owner of real estate, John has the perspective needed to make prudent decisions that have a positive long-term effect on the profitability and viability of any project. As a landlord, he understands that the main reason for him being there is to service the needs of the customers, the tenants.
During the course of our conversation we discuss his experiences in the early 90’s developing opportunities via foreclosures, John shares an awesome story about leveraging all the services your firm can supply and towards the end of our talk John discusses how he was able to earn significant income beyond brokerage commissions.
Here’s What You’ll Discover
- How the early 90’s real estate bust created great opportunity for John.
- What “boutique” firm means to John’s firm
- Why John feels that signage is the most effective marketing tool we have
- Why John wears a tie every day
- How John leveraged his firm’s services for three commission fees in his featured transaction story
- Salesmanship: “either you are or you aren’t”
Mentions & Resources
- Business Week
- Denver Metro Commercial Association of Realtors
- ACT Database
- The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley
- Die Broke by Stephen Pollan
Advice & Quotes
- Keep and maintain a very strong contact database
- “Pay your income taxes!” Seriously, independent contractors have to be careful
- If the client knows more than you, you’re in trouble
- Ask your prosepects how they found the listing
- “Teach” your transactions
- “Kill it early” – identify red flags to save time
- CRE brokerage gives us an opportunity to build wealth, not just through commissions.
- – Check out John’s full bio here
– Call John at 303-692-1816