In this week’s episode, I visit Virginia and speak with Carter Byrnes. Carter is a First Vice President at Tyson’s Corner CBRE office in McLean, Virginia. Carter has over 13 years of real estate experience in Virginia, he has specialized in both landlord and tenant representation and concentrates on several markets outside of the Beltway. He has negotiated over 2.1 Million square feet of lease and sale transactions with an aggregate value of over $340 Million dollars.
Carter specializes in healthcare working landlords and physician groups in developing and executing real estate strategies designed to achieve their occupancy and management objectives.
During our conversation, we cover a lot of great stuff here. He tells a couple really interesting transactional stories, he shares some incredible resources that I’d never heard of and we wrap up with some really strong advice for newer brokers. Enjoy!
Here’s What You’ll Discover
- How Carter developed a niche and brand in healthcare
- How to make successful cold calls – do your homework and add value
- How to leverage social media to drive Search Engine Optimization (Google!!)
- Why Carter checks email ONLY 3 times a day – and why I’m trying it too.
- How a targeted cold call led to Carter’s proudest CRE deal to date and one of his top clients
Mentions & Resources
- Commercial Real Estate Today – Carter’s daily on-line newspaper on CRE news
- Getting Things Done – by David Allen
- Youtility – by Jay Baer
- Contactually – tracks your email inbox and outbox and more!
Advice & Quotes
- “Be an expert in something…” – niche down.
- Do the “ugly deals”
- “Create a story behind the listing you’re trying to sell” – it’s not a commodity
- “I work on INBOX-zero”
- Ask the uncomfortable questions about your clients financials
- “You’ve got to have thick skin” – keep emotion out of this business