My guest on the very first episode of CRE Elite is Derek Waltchack from the state of Alabama:
Derek is a Principal and broker at Shannon-Waltchack out of Birmingham, Alabama. He was named by the Birmingham Business Journal as one of the top 5 must-follow real estate exes in the area. In 2013, Derek was named the Commercial Member of the year for the entire state of Alabama by National Association of Realtors.
His areas of expertise include but are not limited to, retail brokerage, shopping center development and waterfront subdivisions. He’s a self-described “real estate nerd”, father of 4, lover of music, a Tennessee fan (which probably hurts his business in Alabama), and an aspiring chestnut farmer.
Derek is an incredible broker and during this interview he shares some of the most creative marketing ideas I’ve heard yet.
Here’s What You’ll Discover
- How Derek implemented the creative marketing campaign that led to community buy-in to a major project
- The real-life tools and techniques Derek uses to generate real business and close deals
- Why you need to stop thinking of other brokers as competition
- What Derek would tell his younger self, knowing what he knows now
- How a failure acted as a turning point in Derek’s career that led him down a new path
One of Derek’s favorite quotes: “A building is only as good as its parking.” – Trammel Crow
Derek recommends reading Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker’s Money (Rich Dad’s Advisors) by Dolf de Roos as the best summary on how to own real estate, particularly for brokers.
Derek is also fond of the Shopping Center Today.
Derek predicts co-working spaces will be a hot item for brokers going forward.
Above all, Derek recommends you find a trusted mentor early in your career.
Win a FREE Book!
When you rate and review the podcast in iTunes, you’ll instantly become eligible to win your very own copy of the book Derek recommended called Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker’s Money (Rich Dad’s Advisors) by Dolf de Roos.